When your cat or dog gets sick and needs antibiotics of course you want to provide the most effective yet safest treatment possible. With more and more people these days dis-trusting the FDA and the big pharma drug companies with their complete disregard to all the dangerous side effects of their drugs (and the dis-trust is definitely justified) more people are looking for alternative options and using natural antibiotics. Every single prescription antibiotic from the drug companies carries significant risks. Some of the risks include:
- Allergic reactions ranging from a mild rash to severe anaphylaxis resulting in death.
- Mild to severe and debilitating gastrointestinal upset
- Serious damage such as permanent deafness resulting from damage to the acoustic nerve, in the case of intravenous gentamycin, for example.
And, as antibiotics get over-prescribed, the bacteria strains become more and more resistant to the drugs. The drug makers have responded with even more powerful and even more dangerous antibiotics. The results to date have had devastating consequences and many lives have been lost as a result.
Interestingly, the above problems are virtually unheard of when natural antibiotics are used instead of pharmaceuticals.
My first vet that I took my cat Rosie to for a rather nasty urinary tract infection was not a holistic vet and she prescribed some traditional antibiotics that I faithfully gave to her for 14 days but they didn’t work on her urinary tract infection at all. She was still peeing blood and her infection was not helped in any way. So I went back and the vet gave me a stronger prescription and it made her quite sick. After 2 days of seeing her react badly to the stronger antibiotics I decided to discontinue that approach and try a natural remedy.
I had been researching different approaches. For myself I use specific essential oils of 100% therapeutic grade clove, thyme and oregano and they work great but you can’t give these to a cat or dog or other pet. So I decided to try colloidal silver.
If you have been considering using a natural antibiotics for your cat or dog, one of the best options I have found, and I use this now exclusively for my cat Rosie, is colloidal silver.
Silver has been used For thousands of years as a healing agent by civilizations throughout the world. Its medical, preservative and restorative powers can be traced as far back as the ancient Greek and Roman Empires. Long before the development of modern pharmaceuticals, silver was employed as a germicide.
Consider these interesting facts:
• The Greeks used silver vessels to keep water and other liquids fresh. The writings of Herodotus, the Greek philosopher and historian, date the use of silver to before the birth of Christ.
• The Roman Empire stored wine in silver urns to prevent spoilage.
• The use of silver is mentioned in ancient Egyptian writings.
• In the Middle Ages, silverware protected the wealthy from the full brunt of the plague.
• Before the advent of modern germicides and antibiotics, it was known that disease-causing pathogens could not survive in the presence of silver. Consequently, silver was used in dishware, drinking vessels and eating utensils.
• In particular, the wealthy stored and ate their food from silver vessels to keep bacteria from growing.
• The Chinese emperors and their courts ate with silver chopsticks.
• The Druids have left evidence of their use of silver.
•Settlers in the Australian outback suspend silverware in their water tanks to retard spoilage.
• Pioneers trekking across the American West found that if they placed silver or copper coins in their casks of drinking water, it kept the water safe from bacteria, algae, etc.
• All along the frontier, silver dollars were put in milk to keep it fresh. Some of us remember our grandparents doing the same.
• Silver leaf was used to combat infection in wounds sustained by troops during World War I and currently the US army has started putting silver threads in their uniforms for bacteria and odor control.
• Prior to the introduction of antibiotics, Colloidal Silver was used widely in hospitals and has been known as a bactericide for at least 1200 years.
• In the early 1800s, doctors used silver sutures in surgical wounds with very successful results.
• In Ayurvedic medicine, silver is used in small amounts as a tonic, elixir or rejuvenative agent for patients debilitated by age or disease.
• Bed Bath and Beyond currently sells ionic silver sticks for use with their humidifiers to help eliminate bacteria growth in the humidifer.
• Hiking stores sell colloidal silver socks (which you can actually make yourself by spraying your socks with colloidal silver and letting them dry) for helping to prevent athletes foot
I decided to give my cat the colloidal silver in the dosage set for an infant…or close to that. I gave her 5 ml. (1 teaspoon) in an oral syringe 3-4 times per day and about 3-4 hours after the last dose before I went to bed I gave her some probiotics to replenish beneficial bacteria in her system.
Her urinary tract infection started getting better immediately. Since this time I have used it for myself using the same prescription only in tablespoons not teaspoons. I’ve used it for a really nasty tooth infection that spread into my jaw and cheek. And I keep this on hand now for both myself and Rosie.
So colloidal silver is definitely somethingI would recommend as a natural antibiotic that’s safe to use on animals as well as humans. It simply tastes like water and doesn’t sting if you spray it directly on a cut or wound and if they lick it off themselves once you’ve sprayed a cut they aren’t ingesting toxic chemicals or something that is irritating or burning in their mouth.
A note about colloidal silver: There is a big difference between colloidal silver and ionic silver. Many companies that claim to be selling colloidal silver are really selling ionic silver. The difference between silver ions and silver particles boils down to the fact that silver ions combine with chloride ions to form silver chloride and silver particles do not. Also ingestion of highly concentrated forms of ionic silver (100 ppm and above) may cause argyria, a permanent discoloration of the skin. True colloidal silver will not cause argyria. The best brand I’ve found and one that is true colloidal silver is the MesoSilver brand of colloidal silver.
To read more about colloidal silver and the differences you should know when deciding what brand to buy CLICK HERE
Oral syringes are great for administering watery liquids like colloidal silver. Most likely your cat or dog won’t take it on their own so using an oral syringe is the best option.
Another use for colloidal silver is to preserve fresh made pet food. Below is a video showing you how to do this.